How to change a watch battery
Some of the basics of changing a watch battery include:
Hiring a watch repair service to do the job for you – this is recommended for high end watches that may sustain damages in the process of removing and replacing the watch’s battery. Nevertheless, most standard watch batteries can be easily changed from the comfort of your home, and without it taking up too much time. Here are some ideas:
- Get a Flat Surface – where small parts will not roll off and be hard to find.
- Lay out the tools – such as a watch screw and flash light to see more clearly.
- Use a microfiber cloth – to lay the watch’s face on the surface and avoid scratches.
- Remove the cover of the watch – the back that is, which holds the battery. Many times there will be different makes and models for watch back covers, but these can usually be opened with the help of a screwdriver mentioned earlier in the article. For snap on watch covers, a knife shaped watch opener is ideal for hinging under the cover and prying it open safely.
- Battery Replacement – the next step is to have the replacement battery handy. If the previous battery is stuck to the surface, gently pry it loose with a jeweler’s screwdriver. A tweezer can work wonderfully as well. Before removing, check the + or – signs facing upwards. As with replacing all other batteries, the positive and negative sides of the battery will need to be matched with the instructions on the back of the watch.
- A spring clip will sometimes be in place, and this can be pushed into the slots and then tightened.
- Ensure that the watch is functioning before proceeding to the next step – replacing the cover of the watch.
- The final step would be replacing the back of the cover of the watch – and screwing it on tightly with the jewel screwdriver.
Also consider disposing of the watch battery in non-hazardous place, or a battery recycling kiosk to help save the environment and potential fires or toxins leaking into the air.
In addition to luxury watches that may have a difficult system to remove and replace, watch resistant watches too, may be impossible to unloose, given that invisible sealants are set in place. Be sure to consult the help of an expert watch repairman for help with replacing these batteries. Sealants may be furthermore replaced and the water resistance tested to ensure full functionality.